Friday, February 4, 2011

#2- Malaprop's

#2 -Malaprop’s

 I confess, I am a total book nerd. Anybody who knows me knows I am NEVER without a book that I am reading. As soon as I finish one I start another - I am sure I would have a panic attack if I was book- less but really can't say for sure as this has never happened. So how lucky am I to live in a city with the best damn independent bookseller around?

   Malaprop's is the largest locally owned independent bookstore in the region and it is a true treasure! In 1982 when downtown was nothing more than a boarded up, deserted ghost town owner and founder Emoke B'Racz had the vision to see what Asheville could become and opened a store that let her showcase her addiction to literature. 

   I have been here long enough now to remember when Malaprop's was in its original location with the cafe down in the basement accessed by a long, steep staircase. Now it is all on one level and Malaprop's cafe has delicious treats from local bakeries and wonderful locally roasted coffee drinks. It is a cozy space to relax and enjoy a book of your choice. There is always something going on here from author readings many of which I have enjoyed over the years to poetry groups which I tend to avoid like the plague as I just don't understand poetry. There are also literary trivia nights and several book clubs including the Bridging Differences club that I am currently really enjoying.

   Their staff picks often point me towards titles I might never pick up on my own. The banned book section, at times both funny and sad, offers insight by drawing attention to the harms of censorship by spotlighting actual or attempted banned books.

   With the new e reader craze you have to wonder what will become of "old fashioned" books. I can't imagine that I am the only one out there who refuses to give up the comfort of holding an actual book in my hands. I enjoy the art on the cover, the weight of the book in my hand, the paper cuts you can get by turning a page too fast and the smell of a book. Yes, I have been caught smelling my books on more than one occasion! Doesn't everybody?

   Malaprop's has won numerous awards and honors over the years and is a very community minded business. From sponsoring races, to donating products, and serving on boards they take their commitment to the community seriously. Fortunately, the community appears pretty committed to them too!

You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.  ~Paul Sweeney

No comments:

Post a Comment